George F. Bellis (1865 – 1956) worked from Wichita as an artist for many years until his death in 1956. His introduction to Wichita at the turn of the century was through an assignment to create stage sets for use at the Toler Auditorium.
He worked in a multitude of mediums for a wide range of clients internationally. His work included theatrical scenery, silent movie sets, store windows, circus wagons, mid-way banners, mechanized 3-dimensional figures known as animatrons, as well as production of decorative framed paintings and religious art works.
Bellis’ career began in New York City at the age of 12 when he was recruited as an apprentice at a printing company for four hours each day after his interest and ability in drawing was recognized. By the age of 16 he was fully employed as a lithographer, producing commercial illustrations prior to the use of photographs.
To read more on George Bellis who is best known today for his circus and carnival banners for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circuses, click here.
Showing in the Lois Kay Walls Gallery March 27, 2015 through March 20, 2016.